I spent the first three months of 2014 working on unit movement. Once I'd seen some of the larger battles in Supreme Commander, the bar had been raised. With some ingenuity and a whole lot of effort, in those three months I was able to reduce the bandwidth for the unit movement system enough to make huge battle groups feasible. Around April I started thinking seriously that it was time to finish the core feature set and get the game out the door. I received some helpful art direction resulting in big changes to the appearance of Miranda (as shown in the animation above.) The gray terrain gave way to the originally intended white, flower rendering went from blobby textures to texture billboards and the sky went from an image I didn't have rights to, to a solid blue blending nicely into the terrain in the distance. May and June I was fixing bugs, and adding more pretty like the cool topographic map, cloud shadows, and a lot of particle effects. July brought in crash reporting and a shiny new installer. August brought a whole bunch of new features to the HUD including health bars over units. For the longest time I wanted to avoid having health bars, but my plan to have the vehicles' color fade as they were damaged didn't work as well as I would have liked. In September I added the live world map and at long, long last found music for the start of the game. In October I put in the base layout system and Chat, then in November I celebrated a shocking fifth anniversary of development and added more support for factions along with a bunch of new buildings, tanks, rotating antennas and smoking smokestacks. In December I was completing a bunch of features that were almost, but not quite done. I wrote almost 38,000 lines of code this year!
My favourite blog post of the year was Missives from the aether.
The highlight of the year has been seeing Miranda become more and more polished, placeholder art disappearing, and my ideas finally coming to completion.
234,389 Lines of C++ Code
4,842 Lines in largest file scene.cpp
1,072 C++ files
692 C++ Classes
536 Items in the "what did I do this week" log.
342 UI Files
84 Checkins to Mercurial
29 Blog Posts
27 Facebook Likes
17 Custom Tool programs
8 Server programs
5 Remaining Incomplete Core Features
We were unable to retrieve our session cookie from your web browser. If pressing F5 once to reload this page does not get rid of this message, please read this to learn more.
You will not be able to post until you resolve this problem.