A new build of The Imperial Realm::Miranda is finally live. It has been a while since the last update, mainly because there were a couple of big changes to the game that I wanted to finish. The really exciting thing for me about this build is that with a full complement of units for the Independents, it is the first one that really tests a lot of the game features I've been building.
Note: The database on the test server has been wiped. Testers will have to create their accounts again using the same Secret Lair Code as previously.
This screenshot shows all the units that can be built from the Independents' default inventory before the player needs to start shopping at vendors or hunting for crates.
New in This Release
- Independents Forces - all new buildings and units, 65 components, 43 standard unit designs.
- New combat model - weapon effectiveness now depends on the type of unit it is attacking and its armour type.
- Unit Caps - build up to 100 units, then start making hard choices about the type of force to build.
- Friend or Foe - members of different factions are enemies and AI will attack each other unless they have an alliance.
- Alliances - To make an alliance, click an enemy then press Ctrl-A. The enemy must do the same for alliance to be mutual.
- Force Fire - attack an ally or yourself with Ctrl-Click.
- Deformable Terrain - terrain deforms when buildings are placed so they have a flat foundation.
- Shield Bubbles - units with shields look hot, but shields only eliminate part of incoming damage so the health bar now shows status for both shield and health.
- Building Layout easier - buildings can be laid out on bumpier terrain. Buildings now have a foundation-height stat which allows advanced buildings to be placed on very rough terrain.
- Built-in bug reporting, hit Ctrl-B to report a bug.
- Time from login to base layout has been reduced by 20 seconds.
- New static base defense towers and guns.
- New explosion & weapon effects.
- Players can now press H repeatedly to cycle the camera view through all construction yards.
- 120 other fixes and additions.
A bit closer view of a few of the new Independent buildings with a base built on a steep cliff. It still is a little tricky putting buildings here, but putting a military base on the side of a mountain is tricky business!
As previously, the new release is an abort build, so if even the tiniest little thing goes wrong, the game will crash and send me a report.